Having it all can be really challenging and quite frankly it sucks. There is a very fine line between having the body you want AND glowing skin to be envious of. Taking care of your skin after a workout is important to maintain the balance between the two. Post workout skin care tips are a vital aspect of maintaining a healthy complexion, as sweating and increased blood flow can affect the skin’s balance. Here are some of the best post workout skin care tips I’ve been able to put together and maintain in my own life.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning if you click on a product or service, and decide to purchase it, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. All recommended products and services are based on my positive experience with them. For more information, please read my full disclaimer.
Post workout skin care tips that will change your life.
Of course, everyone isn’t the same and something that works for me might not work for someone else, but these are a few tips in general that you can take into account after a workout to ensure you have radiant, glowing skin without compromising your fitness goals. Is it a hassle to do skincare after a workout in the middle of a workday? Yes. But it’s even more of a mission to get rid of blackheads, breakouts and clogged pores. So choose your battle wisely.
Hydrate and then hydrate some more.
After an intense workout, your body needs to replenish lost fluids. This applies to your skin as well. Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin from within. To give your skin an extra boost of hydration, try using a hydration mist or toner containing hyaluronic acid or glycerin to help lock in moisture. Water does so much more than just keep your body healthy. Your skin would be forever grateful if you started taking your hydration seriously.
Tips to stay hydrated:
- Carry around a water bottle.
- Infuse your water with fruits.
- Fuel up on water-rich foods.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
- Track your water intake.
- Try drinking herbal teas instead of high-caffeine drinks.
RELATED: 13 Best Skincare Companies.
Wash your face after your workout.
I love knowing that I had a good workout, but nothing feels better than a clean face after a workout. Sweating is a natural part of exercising, it’s important to cleanse your skin afterward to prevent clogged pores and breakouts. Try using a gentle cleanser to remove sweat, bacteria, and impurities without stripping your skin of its natural oils. Consider double cleansing if you wear makeup during your workout. It’s important to not turn to exfoliation after a workout as your skin is on the sensitive side and could cause a damaged skin barrier.
Make a face mask a part of your skincare routine.
Treat your skin to a soothing mask post-workout to calm any inflammation and nourish your skin. You don’t have to use a face mask every single day, but it is good to add it to your routine 2-3 times a week. Look for masks with ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, or calendula to reduce redness and promote skin healing. Consider using a hydrating sheet mask for an extra dose of moisture. Just as important as it is to take care of your body by working out, it’s just as important to hydrate your skin and prevent breakouts and clogged pores.
Have a good serum in your arsenal.
Using a good serum can be a game-changer in your post-workout skin care routine. Exercise generates free radicals that can damage your skin, so it’s essential to add antioxidants into your post workout skin care routine. Vitamin C serums or moisturizers can help neutralize free radicals, protecting your skin from oxidative stress and promoting a more youthful appearance. Make sure to read the labels as most brands add antioxidant protection as a benefit on their product. I love using the CeraVe Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid. It’s great for hydration and protection against free radicals. Find a product that works for your skin best!
Make sunscreen your best friend.
No matter what you do or where you go, sunscreen should ALWAYS be part of the equation! Even if your workout is indoors, sunscreen should always be worn no matter where you go. UV exposure can still affect your skin, leading to premature aging and damage. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and reapply as needed, especially if you’re heading outdoors. If you have naturally oily skin, try using matt sunscreen to help keep your face shine free.
I cannot stress how important sunscreen is and don’t forget that your neck should be part of that!
Use a good moisturizer.
Lock in the benefits of your skincare routine by applying a moisturizer suitable for your skin type. If you have oily or combination skin, opt for a lightweight, oil-free formula. For dry skin, choose a richer moisturizer to replenish lost hydration. Moisturizing helps maintain the skin’s barrier function and prevents dehydration. I have a combination skin, so I adjust my skincare accordingly. Make sure to really get to know your skin so that you can get the most out of your skincare routine.
Things to avoid for a post workout skincare routine.
Just as there are things you can do to help your skin after a workout, there are a few things you should avoid as well. It’s important to note that none of these tips are deal breakers. Some people might even benefit from these things, but for the majority of people, doing these things can damage your skin.
- Avoid delaying your skincare routine: Postponing your skincare routine allows sweat and bacteria to linger on your skin, potentially leading to clogged pores and breakouts.
- Don’t skip cleansing: Sweating during a workout can leave impurities on your skin. Skipping cleansing allows these impurities to remain, leading to potential skin issues.
- Avoid hot showers: Hot showers can strip the skin of natural oils, causing dryness and irritation. Opt for lukewarm water to protect your skin’s moisture barrier.
- Don’t over-exfoliate: Excessive exfoliation post-workout can irritate the skin, leading to redness and sensitivity. Stick to a gentle exfoliation routine.
- Avoid using harsh products: Harsh products can disrupt the skin’s balance, especially when it’s more sensitive after a workout. Opt for gentle, hydrating formulations.
- Don’t touch your face: Touching your face with sweaty hands or dirty gym equipment can transfer bacteria, leading to breakouts and skin irritation.
- Avoid heavy makeup: Applying heavy makeup after a workout can clog pores and hinder the skin’s ability to breathe and recover. Opt for a lighter makeup routine or go makeup-free.
- Don’t rub your face vigorously: After a workout, your skin may be more sensitive. Avoid rubbing your face vigorously with towels, as this can cause irritation. Gently pat your skin dry instead.
Taking care of your skin after a workout is just as important as the exercise itself. By following these post-workout skincare tips, you can ensure that your skin remains healthy, radiant, and ready to face the day. Remember, consistency is key, so make these skincare practices a regular part of your post-exercise routine to achieve long-lasting results. Your skin will thank you for the extra care and attention!
Your Wellness Warrior!